Macaroni & Cheese with Caramelized Onion
Serves 8 (I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say it really only serves 6)
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces macaroni
1 (15-ounce) can evaporated fat-free milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon water
2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 7×11-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Place onion on baking sheet lined with tin foil. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and lightly spray with nonstick spray. Bake until onion is tender and lightly browned, 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking.
3. Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and return to pan.
4. Cook evaporated milk in small saucepan over low heat just until warmed, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in egg. Stir together mustard and water in small cup until mustard is dissolved. Whisk into milk mixture.
5. Add milk mixture, Cheddar, cottage cheese, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the pepper to macaroni. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
6. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with onion and bake just until heated through, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Served with steamed broccoli.
Results: This wasn’t pretty when it came out of the oven and I thought there was no way the boys would eat it. It was way too watery! But I let it set for a few minutes and it really improved the consistency. And can I just say that Steven (Mr. Picky) asked for a second serving! I did leave the onions off the boys’ half of the dish, but seriously…they were delicious! I can’t say this is the “BEST” mac & cheese I’ve ever had, but for a healthier version, this one was pretty good.
Recipe from Weight Watchers.